How to Choose the Best Stock Image
- Hold the cheese… Avoid using “canned” images that look so staged they don’t have any personality – these will make your brand appear unprofessional and cheap.
- Stay relevant… If your image displays outdated clothing and technology, people will think the product or service is also old and dated.
- Consistency counts… Choosing images with the same tone will have a more professional look. Whether consistency is with your brand or just within the series of images used, images should share a related “feeling” as if each photo or illustration came from the same source.
- Make it personal... Engage the viewer with imagery that invokes intimacy and emotion – using people can help a viewer feel more connected to the content.
- Stay focused… Look for clear, simple imagery that highlights your message. Over complicated visuals – from unnecessary people and structures – or odd expressions can take away from the focal point of the photo.
- Be Sensitive… Consider if your image is culturally appropriate for your target audience – sometimes certain imagery choices can lead to be a turn-off or even worse, communicate the wrong idea altogether.
- Try before you buy… Stock image providers allow you to download a free watermarked version so you can see how an image will look in a layout before you invest.